MORE INFORMATION

Before the development

Problem areas:
Dated decor, ram shackled conservatory on balcony, basement level in bad repair, exterior of house in need of repair, front garden in need of tidying and rear garden in need of landscaping.

This property had retained many of its beautiful original features, which made it a pleasure to work with. The decor was very traditional throughout and was in need of updating, the first floor bathroom was shared by two bedrooms and was very long and thin, not the best use of space. The basement was in bad repair, which was where the utility room, pantry, dining/family room and kitchen were. There was a downstairs shower room, which had no central heating and was poorly placed at the back of the dining room in an old unheated conservatory leading out to the garden. The exterior of the building was in bad repair as was the 1st floor balcony. The rear garden needed re landscaping and the front garden a tidy up. The electrics and plumbing were not to current standards. Overall fantastic potential to improve and create a more modern family home.

What we did

Basement
The whole area was gutted, some damp attended to and a new floor put into the utility room. The walls and ceilings were replastered and painted. We revamped the pantry, added new shelving, put in a new kitchen and kitchen island, Re used the original stone sink and polished up and glazed the existing flagstone floor. A new WC was installed in an old cupboard space and the existing shower room was removed and changed into a garden storage area, much more appropriate. The conservatory was taken down and new bi fold doors were introduced leading out to garden. The whole area was re wired and we introduced a zoned lighting system. Repaired all windows and doors.

Ground Floor
Re plastered and painted, Fireplaces were cleaned up and original shutters repaired and painted. We found some amazing floorboards under the carpet and refurbished these with a dark stain and semi gloss seal. We introduced new carpeting in the hall and stairs, chandeliers and wall lights. Re wired, to enable us to have a cable free surround sound for the media centre, refurbished all windows and doors.

First floor
Re plastered and painted, installed new carpet, refurbished windows and doors, introduced chandeliers and feature walls in bedrooms. The main bulk of the work was splitting the long thin bathroom into two separate shower rooms and inserting a new door from the master bedroom to give access to the en suite. Each shower room was a mirror image of the other with walk in showers. Space was tight, which made it difficult finding narrow sinks that didn't cost the earth. Luckily I happened upon a lab sink company, these proved to be a very inexpensive option and look great.

Second floor
We completely refurbished the main bathroom and in doing so we were able to reuse the existing Victorian suite from the first floor. I had it all re enameled and the bathtub painted so it looked as good as new. We also installed a new shower over the bath. Hall and bedroom walls were re plastered where necessary and painted, windows and doors refurbished, the loft was fully insulated.

Exterior
We refurbished the first floor balcony by taking down an old conservatory that was rotting and reinstated the full length balcony, installed a new glass balustrade and tiled the balcony floor, cladded the wall were the conservatory had been in cedar, installed new feature lighting and repaired windows and doors. The front garden was tidied up and astro truf was installed, the rear garden was landscaped and feature lighting also installed. The exterior of the building was refurbished and repainted throughout.

The result

A great example of how a period home can be modernized whilst still retaining all of its original features.

 

Web design by Mark Design Brighton